Autel Support Communities
Autel Support Communities
Welcome, Guest     Sign in
Communities > MaxiDiag Elite > MD802 > Md802 used - need to format sd card fir...
Md802 used - need to format sd card first?

4488 Views 12 Replies Latest reply: 2016-08-25 09:26:39

•   Level 2   
    (48) points
    HeeK
    2016-08-18 18:49:27
      Hello all,
    I bought an used md802 maxidiag elite all systems for my Mercedes c220 cdi sportcoupe year 2002..i would like to know if i need to format the sd card of the previous user before proceed to download the software for my car via the application provided by auteltech.com inserting my serial and pwd..
    The seller told me he never used serial and pwd to work with this scantool so i think he didnt register..but i dont know if there are his data on the card that i should do better to erase first to start my process  of install...thank you

•   Level 2   
    (48) points
    HeeK
    2016-08-19 09:26:16 (Reply to:HeeK )
     UP (please)

•   Level 3   
    (65) points
    RBD

2016-08-19 21:49:25 (Reply to:HeeK )

If you can successfully register the unit with the serial number & password, and download the update software, it doesn't matter if you format the SD card or not.  It will successfully update, or you can start with a new SD card.  I preferred to use a new 16GB card in the event that future updates may exceed the OEM 8GB card.

•   Level 2   
    (48) points
    HeeK
    2016-08-20 08:17:54 (Reply to:RBD)
     As update software u mean update for the scantool or for my car, and in the first case where i find it? auteltech.com?
    Other question: in the stock sd card there are critical data or its empty? With no cars software at all present on it? You think that if i update and then install the software for my car i succeed in making all go inside the sd card that i have first formatted?
    Last question: erasing errore codes can damage the car?
    Regards 

Salvo 

•   Level 3   
    (65) points
    RBD

2016-08-20 12:07:37 (Reply to:HeeK )

Once you register your device, you want to download the "Autel PC Suite" (done at pro.auteltech.com).  Make sure you get the correct software for the md802.  Depending on the age of your scanner, there may be updates for both the scanner and vehicles (system and manufacturers).  The stock SD card will have system files and manufacturer files on it.  If you format the SD card all information will be erased.  It really isn't necessary to erase, unless you want only the Benz files on the SD card without other manufacturers.  Erasing the error codes won't damage the vehicle.  However, if the issue causing the code isn't corrected, the code will return.

•   Level 2   
    (48) points
    HeeK
    2016-08-20 13:15:45 (Reply to:RBD)
      Thank you very much RBD for your clear explanation :D ;)
    I think i will format the card since im concerned only with benz files and system files collected with the update. The scanner i think its year 2014 all systems 

•   Level 3   
    (65) points
    RBD

2016-08-20 21:23:11 (Reply to:HeeK )

No problem.  But to be safe, I would make sure you can register it and receive updates prior to formatting.  Good luck.

•   Level 2   
    (48) points
    HeeK
    2016-08-22 00:35:11 (Reply to:RBD)
      Ok if inserting serial and pwd it prompts me to start downloading its ok right?
    But at this point how i install data?
    I have to connect the scantool via usb to PC and power it on with the formatted card inserted in it?
    It is a wrong method downloading using only a card reader connected via usb to PC and the card inside it right? Stupid question i know

•   Level 3   
    (65) points
    RBD

2016-08-22 00:50:03 (Reply to:HeeK )

Download the Autel PC Suite.  Once installed, the SD card should be plugged into a USB reader (or USB slot if built into the PC) for programming (not into the MD802).  It will then update the system software.  Once the system software is installed, it will prompt you to update the manufacturer you choose (benz in your case).  As a warning, Benz is a long, long, long procedure to update (at least from my experience).

•   Level 2   
    (48) points
    HeeK
    2016-08-22 01:20:38 (Reply to:RBD)
     Ah ok !
    So the 2nd method that i thought wrong is instead valid :p
    I do all with the usb card reader.
    I will be patient as u say for benz is very long procedure..good reason for installing only this manufacturer..:p
    And having updated files maybe is better for major functionalities of the scantool for my car...even if its a 2002 model
  Total2 Pages